The Church of the Holy Trinity (La Magione)

The church of the Holy Trinity, commonly known as "Magione", stands on the southern side of a vast clearing in the homonymous square Magione. A esplanade formed after the aerial bombardments of 1943 (particularly...

The Oratory of San Lorenzo

The oratory of San Lorenzo takes its name from an older church on which it was founded in 1569 by a company of Franciscan friars who, initially, had taken on the task of burying...

The Palatine Chapel

The Palatine Chapel was described by Guy de Maupassant as the most beautiful church in the world. It is located inside the Norman Palace which was built in the Palaeopolis, the highest and oldest part...

The Church of San Domenico

The church of San Domenico, located in the homonymous square (the ancient Imperial Plan) that dominates like a majestic queen, in size, historical, cultural and religious importance comes immediately after the Cathedral. Surely it is...

The church of San Giovanni degli Eremiti

One of the most interesting examples of Sicilian-Norman art, San Giovanni degli Eremiti it is considered one of the most symbolic monuments of Palermo, one of the most fascinating and unique ecclesiastical buildings of...

Porta Nuova

Once upon a time the city of Palermo was surrounded by walls and there were also entrance gates, the most important of which was the Porta del Palazzo. This gate was closed perhaps in 1460...

Teatro Massimo of Palermo

The Teatro Massimo Vittorio Emanuele in Palermo is the biggest opera house in Italy and the third one in Europe. The structure, built in neoclassical-eclectic style, recalls the forms of classical architecture, with its...

The Church of Santa Maria dell’Ammiraglio: La Martorana.

Situated in a dominant position overlooking Piazza Bellini below, the church of Santa Maria dell'Ammiraglio, also known as the "Martorana", owes its most common name to the presence of a Benedictine monastery founded in...

Piazza Pretoria (Pretoria Square)

Piazza Pretoria is located close to the Vigliena intersection known as the “Quattro Canti”, the very center of the old Palermo. The square is on a higher lever than Via Maqueda and it’s enriched...

The church of San Francesco d’Assisi

The church of San Francesco d’Assisi (St. Francis of Assisi), is a remarkable 13th century building of Palermo, which has preserved its original aspect despite many restorations and renovations made during the years. It was...

Palazzo Abatellis

Palazzo Abatellis was designed in a Catalan Gothic style by Matteo Carnalivari between 1490-1495. The building was made as a luxury villa for the magistrate and master of the harbour Francesco Abatellis and his family,...

Piazza Marina and Palazzo Steri

Piazza Marina is one of the largest squares in Palermo. It was build on the southern side of the natural harbour of the city. In the middle of the square of Piazza Marina is...

The Cathedral of Palermo

The Cathedral of Palermo, one of the oldest churches of the city, is dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin Mary. The main characteristic of this beautiful architectural complex is the presence of many...

The Church of Casa Professa

The Church of Casa Professa, also known as Chiesa del Gesù (Church of the Jesus),is probably the most important baroque church of Palermo, and one of most beautiful in Sicily.     History Casa Professa was founded by...

The church of La Gancia

The church called Santa Maria degli Angeli, and also known as La Gancia, was built at the end of the 15th century by the Franciscans, who wanted a new hospice inside the city walls....

The museum of Palazzo Mirto

  Palazzo Mirto is a marvelous example of a two centuries old nobleman’s mansion. Its original furnishing has been preserved perfectly, and that recreates a perfect 18th century...

Count Federico Palace

The palace is built on the Punic-Roman city wall which originally surrounded ancient Panormus. The tower on the south side of the palace is one of the few remaining  parts of the old city...

The Cathedral of Monreale

The Cathedral of Monreale, also called Santa Maria la Nuova, is a Sicilian masterpiece built during the Middle Ages. Is one of the best examples of coexistence between Islamic, Byzantine and Romanesque cultures. The...

Opera dei Pupi in Sicily

Sicily’s most popular form of traditional entertainment is the Opera dei Pupi (rod-marionette theatre), and the best place to attend a performance is in Palermo. Marionettes were first introduced to the island by the Spanish...

The church of St. Chiara

The church of St. Chiara and its convent, were built by Matteo count of Sclafani and Aderno in 1344. The structure was renewed in 1678 when the architect Giuseppe Amato decided to change the...

CONOSCERE PALERMO

I NOSTRI AMICI SPONSOR

ARTICOLI IN EVIDENZA