The Church of the Holy Trinity (La Magione)

The church of the Holy Trinity, commonly known as "Magione", stands on the southern side of a vast clearing in the homonymous square Magione. A esplanade formed after the aerial bombardments of 1943 (particularly...

The Oratory of San Lorenzo

The oratory of San Lorenzo takes its name from an older church on which it was founded in 1569 by a company of Franciscan friars who, initially, had taken on the task of burying...

The Palatine Chapel

The Palatine Chapel was described by Guy de Maupassant as the most beautiful church in the world. It is located inside the Norman Palace which was built in the Palaeopolis, the highest and oldest part...

The Church of Santa Maria dell’Ammiraglio: La Martorana.

Situated in a dominant position overlooking Piazza Bellini below, the church of Santa Maria dell'Ammiraglio, also known as the "Martorana", owes its most common name to the presence of a Benedictine monastery founded in...

The church of San Francesco d’Assisi

The church of San Francesco d’Assisi (St. Francis of Assisi), is a remarkable 13th century building of Palermo, which has preserved its original aspect despite many restorations and renovations made during the years. It was...

The Cathedral of Palermo

The Cathedral of Palermo, one of the oldest churches of the city, is dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin Mary. The main characteristic of this beautiful architectural complex is the presence of many...

The Church of Casa Professa

The Church of Casa Professa, also known as Chiesa del Gesù (Church of the Jesus),is probably the most important baroque church of Palermo, and one of most beautiful in Sicily.     History Casa Professa was founded by...

The Church of San Domenico

The church of San Domenico, located in the homonymous square (the ancient Imperial Plan) that dominates like a majestic queen, in size, historical, cultural and religious importance comes immediately after the Cathedral. Surely it is...

The church of La Gancia

The church called Santa Maria degli Angeli, and also known as La Gancia, was built at the end of the 15th century by the Franciscans, who wanted a new hospice inside the city walls....

The Cathedral of Monreale

The Cathedral of Monreale, also called Santa Maria la Nuova, is a Sicilian masterpiece built during the Middle Ages. Is one of the best examples of coexistence between Islamic, Byzantine and Romanesque cultures. The...

The church of St. Chiara

The church of St. Chiara and its convent, were built by Matteo count of Sclafani and Aderno in 1344. The structure was renewed in 1678 when the architect Giuseppe Amato decided to change the...

The church of Santa Maria dell’Ammiraglio (La Martorana)

Situated over the piazza Bellini, in the middle of Palermo, the church of Santa Maria dell’Ammiraglio is also known as La Martorana, in memory of Goffredo and Eloisa de Marturano, the founders of the...

CONOSCERE PALERMO

I nostri amici sponsor

ARTICOLI IN EVIDENZA